What is the Summer Science Program?
A one-week cultural, health and science program for Indigenous students in grades 8-11.
The program promotes interest in health and science programs through firsthand experience at the University of British Columbia.
The Summer Science Program is a great opportunity to meet new friends, eat great food, connect with Elders/role models while enjoying fun, laughter and learning.
- Inform students of health and science careers.
- Provide information on post-secondary prerequisites, course planning, and admissions.
- Offer a holistic education experience that includes cultural practices.
- Provide Indigenous role models in health care and sciences.
- Incorporate cultural knowledge into daily activities.
Who can apply?
Open to all students who are of First Nations, Inuit, or Métis ancestry. Students must be going into grades 9 – 12 in the fall of 2021. We would recommend using a computer to complete this survey. The responses of the survey can be saved for personal record and printed.
When is it?
The dates for SSP 2022 will be published soon! Please email email@example.com if you would like to be updated on all SSP and VISE information.
How much does it cost?
- Upon acceptance into the program, students must provide a $200.00 program fee.
- This fee goes towards accommodation and meals during the program. All other expenses (such as workshops, transit fares, admission to museums or attractions, etc) are covered while students are at UBC. The program fee does not include travel to and from Vancouver.
- Students are encouraged to apply for funding from their band or school district.
- Bursaries to cover the program fee of $200 can be available upon acceptance and as per request.
Why apply to the Summer Science Program?
You will gain valuable insight into future academic and career choices. You will make friends and memories that will last a lifetime! You will learn from our Summer Science elder, the many camp coordinators, and teachers throughout the program. You will get to go out and enjoy some of the things Vancouver has to offer.
For any inquiries or questions regarding the Summer Science Program, please contact the Summer Science Program staff at:
Email (preferred way of contact): firstname.lastname@example.org