SUMMER SCIENCE PROGRAM UPDATE as of April 1st, 2020
HOWEVER….We are currently working on making a new virtual platform to replace this years SSP, Virtual Indigenous Science Experience where students can learn online with our Summer Science Program team and engage in Indigenous teachings while connecting with other Indigenous youth.
We understand that this virtual experience cannot replace the UBC Summer Science Program (SSP), but we are working for it to be an exciting learning experience with the same goals as the SSP.
We are still accepting student applicants at this time for this new opportunity! The deadline is April 30th. The application process can be found below. We may be altering the application process to one that fits Virtual Indigenous Science Experience more directly so keep an eye out for any updates on our website. We greatly appreciate your patience.
Thank you for your support!
Now Accepting Applications for Summer Science 2020! Register here:
What is the Summer Science Program?
A one-week cultural, health and science program for Indigenous students in grades 8-11.
The program promotes interest in health and science programs through firsthand experience at the University of British Columbia.
The Summer Science Program is a great opportunity to meet new friends, eat great food, connect with Elders/role models while enjoying fun, laughter and learning.
- Inform students of health and science careers.
- Provide information on post-secondary prerequisites, course planning, and admissions.
- Offer a holistic education experience that includes cultural practices.
- Provide Indigenous role models in health care and sciences.
- Incorporate cultural knowledge into daily activities.
Who can apply?
Open to all students who are of First Nations, Inuit, or Métis ancestry. Students must be going into grades 9 – 12 in the fall of 2020. We would recommend using a computer to complete this survey. The responses of the survey can be saved for personal record and printed.
When is it?
Session 1 Grades 10 & 11: June 28th – July 4th, 2020.
Session 2 Grades 8 & 9: July 5th – July 11th, 2020.
How much does it cost?
- Upon acceptance into the program, students must provide a $200.00 program fee.
- This fee goes towards accommodation and meals during the program. All other expenses (such as workshops, transit fares, admission to museums or attractions, etc) are covered while students are at UBC. The program fee does not include travel to and from Vancouver.
- Students are encouraged to apply for funding from their band or school district.
- Bursaries to cover the program fee of $200 can be available upon acceptance and as per request.
Why apply to the Summer Science Program?
You will gain valuable insight into future academic and career choices. You will make friends and memories that will last a lifetime! You will learn from our Summer Science elder, the many camp coordinators, and teachers throughout the program. You will get to go out and enjoy some of the things Vancouver has to offer.
How do I apply?
Click the following button to head to the Application form:
For any inquiries or questions regarding the Summer Science Program, please contact the Summer Science Program staff at:
Email (preferred way of contact): firstname.lastname@example.org
Special thanks to our sponsors and supporters who have made the Summer Science Program possible. Our supporters include FNHA, NSERC, the Vancouver Aquarium, the UBC Longhouse, and many more!
Like our Facebook page for pictures from last year’s SSP!
Are you looking for an opportunity to make a positive impact with our young people? Then we have the answer! You can join the UBC Summer Science Program by working with us to be a positive role model by being part of a group dynamic!! Not only will you partake in the fun and laughter, you will also be learning new cultural activities.
Benefits of working with Summer Science are:
- You will meet new people and have loads of fun!
- You will enhance your management, communication, and organizational skills
- You will join a team of enthusiastic and interesting people
- You will truly make a difference in the lives of the young people you work with!
- You will also play an essential role in aiding the mission, vision, and standards of the UBC Summer Science Program
Summer Science is a multifaceted program with positions that would appeal to a broad swath of people. Listed below are positions available to apply for right now! If you peruse the list and find nothing to your fancy, please check back regularly as jobs for our camp hire at distinct times.
Current Job Postings:
- Summer Science Program Manager (1)
- Program Coordinator (1)
- Land & Food Coordinators (2)
- Counsellors (2)
- Recreation Coordinators (2)
- Dorm Coordinators (1)
Please view all the job descriptions here: CEIH Careers page
Thank you, we look forward to meeting you!